The International English Language Testing System, popularly known as IELTS, is an internationally recognized English language test and is popular globally amongst people who speak English as secondary language and wish to provide a proof of their ability.
IELTS is mutually managed and owned by the British Council, the IDP Education Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. Many people know that holding the desired IELTS score is a way of demonstrating that you have the relevant English language proficiency needed to enroll into a recognized university or college, but did you know that your IELTS scores are also used by professional and governments agencies for professional registration and immigration purposes. Thus, having the required IELTS results is very important for so many of us for various for many different reasons.
Whether you’re planning to enroll into a college or a university, registering for a visa via government bodies in countries like Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the United Kingdom or applying to business organizations, the IELTS test helps you in reaching your career, education and life goals.
If you’re applying for visa, work or study, the IELTS exam is the same with respect to scoring, level of difficulty, format, examiners and content. Even if the test results aren’t satisfactory, the best bit is that there’s no limit on how often and when can you retake the exam. However, it’s wise to take some time and practice properly before your upcoming exam. In many countries, there are test centers that offer language classes and IELTS preparation courses, but you can also opt for online learning sources that’ll assist you in refreshing your understanding and explain how to prepare for your IELTS attempt in the best way.
WHY THE IELTS STUDY TEST?
You might already know that you’ve to get a specified IELTS score to fulfill your study or work goals and might be working towards that objective by studying for the exam. However, have you considered what the added benefits are for studying even more for your IELTS Academic test to further improve the results? Here are our picks!
1. You’ll receive an objective analysis of your English language proficiency. Perhaps your classmates have told you that you’re a good English speaker, or maybe you do well in your English quizzes at school always. However does all this mean that really know the level you stand at? When you undertake the IELTS exam, you’ll be considered against meticulous international IELTS standards.
2. You’ll receive a certification which is widely globally acknowledged. By taking the IELTS exam, you will get an exam report that is accepted and recognized by thousands of top institutions all over the world such as government agencies, professional bodies, universities and companies.
3. You’ll get the best chance there is to enhance your English language abilities. There are many students who prone to favoring certain abilities over others. However, when you undertake the IELTS exam, you are evaluated in all four necessary skills, namely, Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening, so you’ll have to study wholeheartedly for all these sections if you wish to score well in your test.
4. You will obtain a far better understanding of the English skills that you really need. When taking the IELTS study test, you’ll become more aware of the sort of expertise needed for postgraduate and undergraduate study programs in English.
5. Lastly, you will be even more motivated to prepare yourself and study diligently since you will have a concise and clear goal in mind. It is quite simple to maintain a casual attitude while studying, if one doesn’t have defined objectives and aims. Undertaking the IELTS exam gives you just the right dose of inspiration to study thoroughly and develop your English language skills.
IELTS ADVANTAGES FOR WORK
It’s important to submit a proof of your English language ability for earning a visa and working abroad. English language proficiency is the key to success in your career and is surely considered a valued asset along with all the other work requirements (this applies to all sorts of jobs). If wish to apply for a work visa, you must get either ‘vocational’ English or ‘competent’ English language skills- this means that you’ll have to prepare yourself for more than just the elementary conversational English.
- Applicants applying for the UK must score a minimum of 6.5 bands in each of the test’s four sections (Writing, Listening, Speaking and Reading)
- For applicants wanting to work in Australia, an IELTS test score of 5 bands is considered to fall into the level of ’vocational English’ whereas a score of 6 bands implies that the candidate is a ’competent English’ speaker.
- In New Zealand, applicants should obtain an overall test score of at least 4 bands or higher in the Academic or General module for the work permit. You can also submit extra proof of your English language proficiency, including information about places where you have lived (countries), your current residing country or your family’s understanding of English.
- In Canada, work permit applicants should personally check with the company that they’re applying to for their desired IELTS band score requirements. Educational institutions and employers usually set their very own English language skills requirements.
For all of these countries, it’s essential for you to consider the fact that the minimum band requirements differ; depending upon the occupation you are going for. For certain professions, work permit applicants must get at least 6 bands in every one of the IELTS’ testing modules. For example, a band score of at least 7 is required for teachers.
IELTS ADVANTAGES FOR STUDY
For students wanting to study abroad, it’s important to keep in mind that many colleges and universities all around the world (and all colleges and universities in the UK) acknowledge the IELTS exam results.
If you’re a Tier 4 student visa applicant, you can apply universities and colleges in the UK if your IELTS results are from any one of the 1,000 approved IELTS exam locations globally, unless the establishment has other requirements as well. Certain universities and colleges also work as local agents as a representative of the British Council, confirming the delivery and administration of the IELTS tests.
If you’re considering an undergrad or postgraduate degree program, opting for the Academic IELTS exam is your best bet. The General Training IELTS exam is enough for programs that don’t award you with a degree. Search your preferred university or college and check the type of IELTS study test that is the right fit for you.
As a prospective international student, you’d have to show that you’re qualified enough and can effectively complete the degree program instructed to you in English. Therefore, you’ll need a stronger IELTS band score result to get into an advanced degree program like Masters or PhDs.
IELTS ADVANTAGES FOR IMMIGRATION
Local and government bodies utilize the IELTS examination as a part of their application processes in order to get the rights to permanent residence or citizenship. For these agencies, language proficiency is considered to be strongly connected to the person’s ability to fit into the workplace and the community. The IELTS test is recognized by the immigration system and continues to play a vital role in exercising language evaluation as a tool to control and manage migration quantities.
The UK government has introduced and approved a new exam as a part of their visa application process. This exam is also called test ‘IELTS for UKVI’ or the IELTS Life Skills. This implies that the IELTS test could be used to demonstrate your English language proficiency in support of Immigration (UKVI) applications and the UK Visa. The IELTS Life Skills exam requires you to prove your listening and speaking skills at level B1 or A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) only. At the end of this test, you will get a pass/fail outcome instead of the conventional band scores.
Examples Of Scores:
- To migrate to New Zealand, you must get an overall IELTS band score of at least 6.5 in either Academic IELTS or general training module. Giving IELTS is compulsory for a visa application.
- Although the Canadian immigration authorities accept the IELTs score, you would also have to get the Canadian Language Benchmarks standard to migrate there.
- Australian immigration bodies recognize Competent and Vocational English both by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
Don’t forget to check with institutions or government agencies or institutions for whichever country you’re applying to for any precise scores and language requirements about immigration.
Join our trained team of experts for IELTS preparation and learn more about all sorts of IELTS modules for better understanding of the examination formatting, know even more about the test-taking tactics, and develop your conversational, writing and reading English-language abilities. Start your IELTS journey now to reach your objectives efficiently, and get the exam results you need for progress.